Ophthalmology is one of the Hanse Clinic’s specialities for horses. Dr Stephan Leser is the senior physician and a recognized specialist in this field. Together with Dr Kirstin Brandt, he performs an average of around 1,000 operations per year both in our clinic and at international partner clinics. Every procedure is minimally invasive and carried out with state-of-the-art equipment.
The minimally invasive procedures help patients recover faster with less pain. Depending on the complexity of the operation and the horse, individual treatments can be carried out under local anaesthesia and without general anaesthesia in a standing position.
In the field of ophthalmology, we offer the following services, among others:
- Vitrectomy (vitreous surgery)
- Phacoemulsification (treatment of cataracts)
- Treatment of corneal ulcers and ruptures
- Treatment of bacterial and mycotic infections of the cornea
- Laser cyclocoagulation (treatment of glaucoma)
- Keratectomy (removal of chronically diseased corneal tissue)
- Paracentesis (aqueous humour puncture)
- Tumour resection using CO2 laser
- Synechiolysis (loosening of adhesions between iris and lens)
- Treatment of eyelid injuries
- Lid margin reconstructions